My grade 6 students took their first unit test this week and as I was grading them I was thinking a lot about what exactly I wanted to happen when I gave them back to students. I knew I wanted them to reflect on their test, how they did, and what they understood and what they were still struggling with. I also I knew I didn't want this to be in the form of test corrections, but other than that I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Well, thanks to good old google and lots of teachers who share their ideas online I found something that I was able to modify for my students and am giving a try this week. Here's what I came up with ...
Instructions: Write a letter to yourself about your performance on your recent Patterns Unit Test. Include the following in your letter:
- Say how you did overall and explain why you think you performed this way.
- State one part of the test you are proud of and explain why.
- State one part of the test that you think you could have done better on and what you could have done to improve.
- Identify a careless mistake and how you plan to avoid making this same mistake in the future.
- Pick a topic and/or a question from the test that you still aren't 100% comfortable with and what you plan to do to review this for the future.
If you feel that you can't answer any of the above, state this and why you believe this.
I'll share some of my students' responses and my own thoughts and reflections on how it went in a few days.