Tuesday, October 15, 2013

34: Similar Figures with a Video by Shmoop

Grade 7 is about to start their unit on Stretching and Shrinking and I was trying to find a more interesting way to give them some background information on Similar Figures before having to apply this knowledge. So after a quick google search I came across this ... 


Silly, yes, but definitely has some great information for the kids and could be a new way for them to learn something as I rarely use videos like this with this class! So, here's my plan ...

  1. Students have already created Mug Wump for homework and in class will create the rest of the Game Characters during class.
  2. Students will then compare the Wump Characters to Mug noting what is the same about Mug and the others and what is different about the five characters.
  3. For homework I will have students watch the Similar Figures Video (I may have some guided note taking questions for them) and then have them decide which characters belong in the Wump family and which are impostors and explain why.
  4. Students will also complete a homework problem from their text (CMP 3 Stretching and Shrinking Book #1 on p36) that will reinforce what similar figures are.




This is all new to me so I'm counting on there being a lot of learning and reflecting on my part on how to make this better next year. If you have any suggestions, let me know!